Historic District Walking Tour

Category: History

Article Index

compass   Turn left and cross East First Street to corner.

6.  Voorhies House, 1925.  103 S. Park.

Luther Voorhies owned the combination hardware store and funeral parlor on Main St., a practice not uncommon at the time.  Voorhies also began selling new machines from Ford called "automobiles" as a normal outgrowth of farm machinery.  Demand for the automobile was so great that he built the first Hohenwald Filling Station now on the corner of Main St. and Park.  Voorhies built this bungalow house as he was building his business.

7.  Randall House, 1923.  105 S. Park.

This bungalow style house was built by Riley Randall, who gained popularity as a rural mail carrier and then successfully ran for the State Legislature.

8.  Cohen House, 1897.  107 S. Park.

The oldest documented house in the Historic District, this house was built by merchant T. Cohen.  Dr. Springer also converted this house to the bungalow style by adding stucco and partially enclosing the front porch.

9.  Poore House, 1946.  111 S. Park.

The corner lot was originally the location of the Parsonage for the Swiss Reformed Church.  Banker Leland Poore built this colonial revival house immediately after World War II.  It was one of the few brick houses in the county at the time.

 swedish church10.  Hohenwald Church of Christ, 1927.

The original 1899 structure for the Christian Church was topped by a bell tower, and was built on one of the first lots sold by the Swiss Pioneer Union.  Lightning destroyed the first building 1927.  The current building soon replaced it the same year for the Church of Christ.  A ten-year-old Cordell Hull placed his Bible in the cornerstone, and was present for the 1999 centennial ceremony to view his Bible when the cornerstone was opened.  Many early Hohenwald buildings were heated with coal, which was shoveled from delivery wagons into the buildings through coal chutes.  The coal chute for the church building is still visible on the south side.

 


Cookie Policy    •    Privacy Policy    •    Copyright Notice    •    Terms of Use    •    Accessibility Statement    •    Site Map    •    Photography Credits

Copyright © 2020 Hohenwald-Lewis County Chamber of Commerce. All Rights Reserved.
PatVB Web Designs & Graphics